Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Wooden Bowl Display

A thrifted and salvaged wall organizer for the bathroom via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
I'm always picking up various odds and ends at the thrift store. One corner of my house is actually overrun by all the junk I find. I figured I'd better start using some of it or I might as well just call myself a hoarder and be done with it! This project used only one little piece from my stash, a wooden bowl. But hey, at least it's a start!
This is a pretty basic project. I used a hacksaw to cut the wooden bowl in half. I might have used an different saw, except I previously sawed right through the cord and need to get that taken care of. So, hacksaw and muscle it was!

Once the bowl was cut in half, I painted it in a light coat of Rushmore from American Paint Company. 
Thrifted wooden bowls for a wall organizer via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
For the backer, I used a piece of wood that had originally been part of a magazine holder. It had seen better days, for sure, and I'd already taken it apart to use in other projects. I painted some white onto the wood and then taped off an area for a couple of stripes. Those I painted Traverse City Cherry. 
Salvaged wood from a magazine holder used with wooden bowls
After putting some wood glue on the backs of the bowls where they would meet the wood, I nailed them in from the back. This was a little tricky because the bowls are round and, accordingly, there wasn't really a flat surface to lay the piece on for nailing. But I managed with a little fanagling. 
Wooden bowls, cut in half, become a small wall ogranizer or display
I originally made this to be a small organizer, for the bathroom perhaps, but I didn't have anything pretty to put in it for photos. So I went with flowers here. I don't have any pretty, vintage toiletries in my bathroom. Just the basics that I use everyday. Hazard of having a small bathroom I suppose. Not much room for extras! 
Let's keep in touch...
Your comments make me smile :) 'Til next time!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover